Jimna Fire Tower - with views across hundreds of hectares of pine forests. Built of local timbers; a watchtower for bush fires!
Jimna is a very early Australian village, established about 1920,of the timber getting and gold mining era. The village itself, tiny and much unchanged from the early days is a wonderful experience of how it was for our pioneers and forestry workers...Here is a little story written by a member of the Lewis family from about 1945:-
"There was no transport from Jimna to Kilcoy and most residents didn't have cars, so it was necessary to catch a ride on the provisions truck at the time. If the double cabin was full, the kids would sit up on top of the sawn timber or otherwise, catch a ride on the logging trucks and sit atop the logs down the dirt range to Kilcoy."
It was a great activity for young people to go for a horse ride out to a section of Yabba creek about 4klms from Jimna. The area was full of peach trees and it was a sheer delight to 'boil the billy' and eat the peaches! Peach Trees today, is a beautiful place to visit.
In 1934 the Jimna Hall was built by working bees of local residents and local timbers donated by Yabba station, Hancock & Gore Mill and Nanango Mill. In the same year, the Jimna branch of the QCWA was formed and meetings were held at the hall.. The Jimna Hall today is still the centre of community happenings. The local residents have spent many volunteer hours restoring it with assistance from the Somerset Regional Council and state grants. There is a 'top shelf' new commercial kitchen adjacent to the long traditional supper room. The hall is adjacent to the Base Camp and available for hire.
CONTACT US WITH ANY ENQUIRY YOU HAVE - FROM THE SUBLIME TO THE RIDICULOUS! ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN HERE AT THE BASE CAMP!!! - Phone:- 0417 756 876.
Email us - firstname.lastname@example.org - or fill out your enquiry in the box below:-